Saturday, April 25, 2009

Survived the first week

So Toby and I survived our first week of parenting. In some ways it was harder than I thought it would be and other times it was just as I expected. We had a few bumps along the week. Wyatt's tummy was hurting him. For about a day and a half after I would feed him he would pull his legs up to his belly and just cry out at the top of his lungs. I even saw a tear a few times. It broke my heart to see him in pain. I called the pediatrician to see what we could do and if we could give him some mylicon drops that are supposed to help with his gas issues. She said that was fine to give him the drops. We started with the next feeding and they have helped immensely. He still has a few moments where his tummy bothers him but they are 10 times better than without the drops. We are starting to get into a routine - somewhat. He feeds about every 3 to 3 1/2 hours. We are working on getting him to sleep in his bassinet by himself. At night time he wants to be cuddled up with him. The last two nights I slept on the couch with him wedged between me and the back of the couch. I don't want to do this for his safety but it's either that or we take shifts just holding him. We are putting him in his bassinet more during the day and he seems to be content so hopefully in a few nights he will decide he can sleep alone. Angus loves him and is already very protective of him. When Wyatt cries, Angus runs up to make sure he is ok. If we put him in the bassinet, Angus sleeps underneath of it. It's very cute! Even Sasha our cat has surprised us. He is very curious about Wyatt and has sniffed him a few times without hissing or swatting at him. I still don't trust him but I'm glad he is being somewhat nice to him.

All in all the first week went pretty good. I'm tired but when your getting up every 3 hours to feed there is not much room to sleep for a long time. I hear Wyatt waking up now..gotta go.

No comments: