Friday, March 20, 2009

Things that bug me...

I know I'm not perfect when it comes to grammar and proper English but there are some things that bother me. For example, I was listening to the radio this morning on my way to work. The dj asked people to call in to let them know what they were doing. He said "Because you know...we have to live vigorously through you"...Really, vigorously? I yelled "vicariously" at the radio and was glad that no one was around to see me yelling at the dj.

The other big thing that has bugged me is the "for sale" ads on craigslist. I can't tell you how many listings I have seen that say "for sell" or "I don't care if you re-sale it". C'mon, seriously? A co-worker of Toby's is the worst. She said to her husband on the phone the other day, "I ain't ever seen no rain last night." The sad thing is that she doesn't even realize that she is saying anything wrong and she says things like that all the time.

Toby bought a shirt at the thrift store the other day. It has the outline of the state of Tennessee on it and says "Literacy ain't everything".

3 comments:

Ariana said...

I feel ya!! Vigorously. I would have been shrieking at the radio!! That t-shirt sums it up for this state, don't it. :)

Bacon Lady said...

Ha! I'm so with you on this.

A couple of years ago I was watching a show on Sprout(a PBS affiliate)with my kids, and they were showing birthday cards parents had sent in for their kids.

One said, "YOUR TWO!"

Out of the presumably thousands of cards they get to pick from to show on TV--on PBS ferchrissakes--they pick one with a grammatical error.

It made my head hurt.

Melissa Kirk said...

I'm still laughing at Bacon Lady. I can't stand it when people use words incorrectly. Apostrophes also get me. A girl I know online was showing off her new tattoo today and I REALLY wanted to tell her that two apostrophes were missing, but I didn't want to be a bitch. But they could be added really easily...