Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Chicken

Toby and I are not big meat eaters and when we do eat meat it's mostly chicken. Well we had a brand of chicken in Nashville that we liked and it tasted very good. To some of you, you may be saying but chicken is chicken. Well, it's not. I want to gag every time I think about eating Tyson or Purdue chicken. They come from factory farms. The concept is disgusting and I can't believe we have allowed these to rise above family farms. Anyways, we have been on a search since we have been here for a good tasting chicken as well as one that treats their chickens in a decent way. The grocery store I am working at sells mostly Sanderson Farms chicken. What gets me is that their labels say "100% all natural chicken". Do people realize that their are no standards that need to be met in order for them to put it on the label? If it says organic it has to go through several things before it can be labeled that way. The word "natural" gets me b/c their marketing works. People see it's "natural" so it must be good. Well, in my research I found that Sanderson Farms ranks 24th on the list of top polluters in the country. They will definitely not be getting my business. After seeing this I knew there was no more reading to be done about this company. My mind was made up. So...the search is back on for chicken...sigh...

1 comment:

J. P. Morrison said...

You absolutely have to read The omnivore's dilemma : a natural history of four meals by Michael Pollan. I'm reading it right now and it has been so educational about how food in America is produced.