Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thought Wyatt was coming today...

So, I guess we had our first false alarm today. I will be 31 weeks on Saturday. I woke up and rode the city bus to work today. I usually keep a mental track of when I have contractions. Well, I noticed after having four of them that it was within an hour (the time it takes me to ride the bus to work). So, I started keeping track of them. All morning they were pretty irregular but I was having them quite frequently. At about 10am, my boss took me to lay down in an exam room for awhile. So I laid there on my left side, drinking lots of water and writing down every time I had a contraction. They started coming about every 10 min and were actually getting a little stronger. I called Toby and asked him to come pick me up so we could head over to the dr. Of course my dr is out of the office til Tuesday so I had to see the on call dr. It took about an hour to get in and by this time my contractions were very regular and coming every 5-6 min. I thought for sure he was going to look at my cervix, tell me I was dilating and send me to the hospital. But...he said my cervix looked good. They did a test called fetal fibronectin that can tell you if you may go into labor within the next week or two. If it comes back negative you have a 1% chance of going into labor soon. He also said it looked like I might have an infection which he said could be the source of my contractions. So, he gave me a prescription for the infection and one that would slow my contractions down. We headed to the pharmacy and I took the pill immediately. That was about 3pm and within a couple of hours I was down to just a few, less intense contractions. They called just after 4pm to say that the fibronectin test had come back negative. So it looks like this is our first false alarm. I have to say I am very glad Wyatt wants to stay a bit longer. While I know he could survive I'm just not quite ready-nor do I want to deal with the nicu.

1 comment:

Ariana said...

oooo. that test, which was negative for me too, was one week before my water broke! But i never had contractions, o i guess i never truly went into labor. glad you're ok!