Monday, January 17, 2011

Monsanto...Genetically Modified...do you know these terms?

So I know I scare myself by watching documentaries about our food, but guess what? I like to know what I am eating since I know that corn is not always what it appears to be. I just read an article in Mother Earth News Magazine (which is one of my fav magazines) titled "Genetically Modified Corn-Safe or Toxic". Monsanto, one of the biggest corn processing companies, has three corn varieties being sold by Monsanto to farmers that have become the subject of a new analysis by French Scientists. Two of the varieties have been designed to kill insects that kill the plant. The third was designed to tolerate Roundup which is Monsanto's best selling herbicide. Under current u.s. law, corps are not required to make industry conducted studies public. But in this case, thanks to a lawsuit, studies were released for independent analysis by scientists NOT being paid by Monsanto. They concluded that the data, which Monsanto claimed proved the corn varieties were safe to eat, actually suggest potential kidney and liver problems resulting from consumption of all three modified corn varieties, as well as negative effects in the heart, adrenal glands and spleen.

This is just one example of how (pardon my language) fucked up our foods have become. How do you know what to eat anymore?? Even if you eat veggies/fruits from a local family farmer, you almost have to ask where they got their seeds and do your research first. Ultimately, the only way to get around it is to grow your own food with seeds that you approve of.

The more I hear about things like this, the more I just want to move to the middle of nowhere with a couple of acres. I want a large garden where I can freeze and can my own food and not have to rely on grocery store food as much.

Toby and I are in the beginning stages of planning our garden this summer. We are trying to grow as much of the fruits and veggies that we eat everyday. We also have a few fun veggies/fruits that we are going to try. I'm really hoping every year we can do a little better at our garden since it seems our politicians are not going to help make our food any safer.

No comments: