Saturday, December 4, 2010

Small town living

After living back in Morrison, my hometown, for a year, I am still trying to adjust. Since Moved away 13 years ago, I have lived in towns about 25,000 or larger. I really love the small town life with the exception of one thing, religion. It's a large "thing" because in a small town, religion is a way of life. It's not that I'm against religion, it's just not for me. I did not grow up in a very religious household and I just never really understood what, why and how it worked for people. I don't want to offend anyone, if it works for you and your family, great. However, I still believe that I am a good person and I will instill values and morals on Wyatt and hopefully he will grow up to become a decent man.

I like a lot of the friends I have met here. However, I feel there is a wall between us because for so many of them, religion is a big part of their life. We can enjoy each others time and have fun but when it comes to talking...there is apprehension on my part. I feel as if I have to hide a part of who I am. I will say (type) it, I don't believe-gasp! I am a spiritual person, I just don't necessarily buy into the story. I guess I am sort of chickening out by typing this out as I know some of my friends will read this. We tried to go to a church here in town once to meet people. We realized though that we would be making friends based on lies. Obviously if they met us through church they would think that we believed when in fact we don't. So we decided it was not for us. I really do like the community that a church has. I think it is a wonderful thing, it's just not for me. I guess I don't know where I'm really going with this. I just wanted to vent so to speak (type). It's just the one thing that has been really hard about living in such a small town. Toby and I have not found really close friends mainly because of this one "thing" which may seem stupid to some but we would love to have close friends that we share much in common with...

3 comments:

monkeyberry said...

Aaaaaw, hugs. I know how you feel!

monkeyberry said...

P.S. it's me, Kasi. ;)

Grandma Di said...

Here is my opinion & advice: I think you are dwelling too much on this subject. You have your opinions as i and many others but that shouldn't stop you from meeting new friends. When we get together with our friends this subject hardly ever comes up. We have friends that have their own beliefs and no one judges them. Maybe your generation talks more about religion than ours does. I think if the subject comes up you just say that we have our own beliefs and drop it IF that is what you want! PERIOD! There are alot more things to talk about than religion and i thnk when Wyatt gets in preschool and school you will have much more in common with people. Both of you are very good genuine people and are trying to raise Wyatt the same so i don't think people judge you bc of your beliefs. You can join organizations, talk & do zumba, couponing, music etc. so there are alot of other things to do and talk about in life so maybe try and direct your thinking to other things and not worry so much on this subject. You both could have alot of nice friends in these small towns too but it takes time and effort like anything else and you both are pretty busy but maybe you need to try and take more time to invite someone over and hang out and it just might start something special! Well, enuf..