Thursday, October 14, 2010

Potty training

I am so impressed with how well Wyatt is doing at potty training. We have been working on and off since he was about 1 with him sitting on the potty. Well, the last few weeks we have been working at it a bit harder. Whenever we are home, he wears big boy undies. That way he will feel it when he goes potty and doesn't make as much of a mess on the floor especially if it's #2. We only have carpet in our house too so it's much easier to clean up with undies on. Well, the last few days he is getting the hang of telling me "potty" before he is actually going potty. It still is not soon enough to get him to and on the potty before he goes but I'm so proud of how quickly he is figuring it out. In fact, he has started telling me when we are out of the house that he has to go potty. I have some pull ups but I didn't want to start using them until he was trained a little better...maybe I should start using them when we are out of the house?? The other question is what do you do when you are out of the house and he says "potty" but you can't get to a potty in time or at all? I suppose even if we can't get to one in time I should still take him and sit him on it, right? I've been telling him "good job" and praising him when he tells me in public. Should I continue that when we can't get to a potty at all? Any advice on dealing with him going potty in public is greatly appreciated!!

1 comment:

Ariana said...

Here's what we did: I'd kinda keep an eye on the clock to see how often C was saying potty and when we were out, I'd take her to the bathroom regularly, where ever we went, rather than waiting for her to ask. I'd say 'It's time for a potty break!' and I'd go too, so it was a social thing, not just an annoyance for her. Each new place was an 'adventure' to find the bathroom, which we'd hit before I started shopping or whatever. If I took too long, sometimes we'd have to hit it again, or go once more before we left.
When there were no toilets to be found, we used the grass, if we were by ourselves or in a park or something. I feel like there's a lot of leeway for small children peeing in public. Keeping an eye on the time helped with that if I knew we'd be somewhere with no potty soon. I also would limit fluids during the time we were out to minimize trips to the potty, unless it was all day and then the rule for C for a long time was about 5-10 minutes after she'd had a big drink of something, she had to go, so I'd just say 'potty break!' and we'd go. She's out of diapers totally now and has an accident about once/week if she's too busy playing to tell me. We had some setbacks and 'regressions' where she'd have multiple accidents/day, but we stuck with it. I think it's awesome that you are doing this so early! Go Wyatt!! And go you for all of your persistence! Sorry this was so long.