Friday, June 10, 2011

Roundup...Why should you care about it?

Even if you don't use Roundup, Monsanto's #1 weed killer, you should care about it. Almost every food item that you eat (unless you eat organically) comes from genetically modified seeds. I am not opposed to the idea of gmo foods because they have done some good things like making corn able to grow closer together which means you can produce more corn per acre now. However, Monsanto modifies their seeds to become immune to Roundup which means every year the fields are sprayed with Roundup to kill weeds but not the crops. The Roundup is then in the food we eat along with other toxic chemicals. Monsanto is so big that they can conduct their own studies to produce the results that make it look like these foods are safe to eat. I heard a statistic the other day that autism is up 600% over the last 20 yrs or so. I wonder why that is???? Think about how our food has evolved over the last 20 yrs. 20 yrs ago, you didn't have 15 different flavors of hamburger/tuna/chicken helper on the shelf. These overly processed boxed foods contain so much crap and chemicals in them, it's no wonder we are seeing rises in cancer, autism, birth defects, etc. Unfortunately, our country does not require that foods be labeled whether or not they contain gmo's. The only way to know right now (unless you do your own research on every item) is to buy 100% organic products. I'm so fed up with our food system (which is why Toby and I have an organic garden this year)...everything contains high fructose corn syrup as well. It's no wonder why obesity is on the rise...not to mention, I can't believe how many young teens I see with belly fat. I don't remember that when I was in school and that was less than 20 yrs ago. There is so much processed crap in our food that our bodies cannot fully digest. It makes me want to scream....Anyways, this is the article that prompted me to write this little rant.

http://redgreenandblue.org/2011/06/08/its-official-monsantos-roundup-herbicide-causes-birth-defects/

No comments: